Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Manga Review: 5 Centimeters per Second, by Makoto Shinkai

Based on the brilliant animation film by Makoto Shinkai, you can now recount the heartwrenching story of Takaki and Akari with this Manga release published by Vertical.

I ordered this manga from BookDepository.com last year December 2014 and just arrived to my home just this March 02, 2015. An almost two months of waiting. They already sent me a replacement copy due to long months of waiting for this book. I am not sure if this was the replacement copy they've sent. Anyway, I'm satisfied with their Customer Support for their response and fair resolution. In any case, I'll return back the duplicate if ever any arrive to my home.


Manga Book Details:


5 centimeters per second manga front cover
Title: 5 Centimeters per Second
Story by:
Art by: Yukiko Seike
ISBN: 9781932234961
Genre: Comics, Manga, Graphic Novel
Original Language: Japanese
Translated to: English
Translation by: Melissa Tanaka
Produced by: Hiroko Mizuno, Nicole Dochych, Tomoe Tsutsumi
Publisher: Vertical, Inc.
Published Date:




Characters:
  • Takaki Tohno
  • Akari Shinohara
  • Kanae Sumida
  • Risa Mizuno


(read full review below; may contain spoilers)


This Manga is quite thick. The front cover is a real quality.

5 centimeters per second manga book spine & edge
5 Centimeters per Second book spine and edge

Though this Manga was translated to English, the tradition of reading a Manga still applies. Readers who used to read books from left to right will see the end page with how-to read a Manga.

how-to read a manga
How-to Read Manga page at the end page

The first page is colored and the rest are black and white common for most Mangas.

5 centimeters per second manga first page colored
5 Centimeters per Second first page colored

5 centimeters per second manga title page colored
5 Centimeters per Second title page colored

5 centimeters per second manga back cover
5 Centimeters per Second back cover

Remember the following scene, It's in the book. You'd get the heavy feeling on this (for those who haven't watched the film and read this manga - sorry for the spoiler below...)

5 centimeters per second manga heartwrenching moment
5 Centimeters per Second the heartwrenching scene

The Epilogue. I couldn't remember if this was included in the film as it's been several years since I watched it. I'm sure the ending, the epilogue is different. I won't spoil it, It's up to you if it's a good ending or sad. For me, It's either. Kind of left me hanging.

5 centimeters per second manga epilogue
5 Centimeters per Second Epilogue

5 Centimeters per Second tells the story of two young sweethearts. Separated on their upcoming Junior High without them telling what their feelings want to say. The only means of communications during their younger years were snail mail. In spite of that, they were unable to write their true feelings to each other wherein the guy, Takaki who must have the balls to initiate it, failed on doing so. Til they reach their adult years and til the girl, Akari is already committed to someone, Takaki is still yearning. Longing to Akari whom he hasn't met for a decade and with no communications.

The part where they meet across the railways hit my heart heavily. Then a LLS (Last Song Syndrome) of Masayoshi Yamazaki's "One More Time, One More Chance" plays. (you'd know what i'm talking about and appreciate this book if you first watched the film). So, It plays the song "One More Time, One More Chance" but the title of the song literally does not apply to what happened. Takaki didn't had the chance but left becoming a martyr. Poor boy.


One more time, One more chance by Yamazaki Masayoshi. YouTube music video uploaded by OfficeAugusta. The song was used as the ending theme song of 5 Centimeters per Second.

I'm not used to read love story book. I read some but never finished them because it's not a genre i want and not my taste. 5 Centimeters per Second is an exception and the only love story I would give a perfect rating and something i will remember. Makoto Shinkai did great with the story. It inspires me to do one myself.

One thing i also learned after reading this book is if i have the chance of saying my true feelings to the girl i want, I'd say it without giving a second thought. I don't want to end up like Takaki.

If i encounter another love story book similar to 5 Centimeters per Second, I'd add it to my exceptions.


Rating: 5.0 / 5.0

From KnowYourMeme.com

Instructions after reading '5 Centimeters per Second' Manga:

From KnowYourMeme.com


Reference Books Mentioned in the Manga:



5 Centimeters per Second Manga Available at the ff. Online Store:



Or from BookDepository.com (Free Delivery Worldwide!) -> direct link to product click here


Trivia:


  • 5 Centimeters per Second was first released as a film.
  • the film won Best Animated Feature Film of 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards


-

Literateknolohitura.com





Reference:


12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the art and the storyline of Manga. I hope Filipino illustrators can start making an industry like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, my Japanese grandmother always teaches me how to write and read Japanese symbols. But then, we moved out of Nagoya and came back to Manila. Sayang, I can easily relate to this pa naman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that even manga can give a wonderful lesson. Saying out true feelings may be hard especially if you're not the type who's open to this, but it's fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masarap ba yang manga.. Just kidding, but kakaingit ang mga Japanese , they have odd ways to express their thoughts. Cute ang melody ng song, sana may Tagalog translation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eldest daughter love reading Manga stories. She had this pocketbook, that I thought it is a comic book..it is full of animation, drawings...and very colorful. Whew! Maybe this is the new Mills&Boon or Beverly High Pocketbook today. Ang hirap maka relate...basta parang ganun na nga ata..hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a big manga fan but I like it. I know few teens who are so much into it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is heartwarming according to the storyline, I am fond of reading love stories but not in manga.

    ReplyDelete
  8. from just reading your post i can sense that the story is really great! i hope i can have a copy of it in the future

    ReplyDelete
  9. its nice that this mangga has english translation

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the meme towards the end! lol Anyway, I'll be honest. Di talaga ako fan ng Manga but my friends are :))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious about this material. I haven't tried reading manga but this seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This review is absolutely nice. The plot it's very interesting and I will not mind going through its sequel as well. I also would be starting watching some anime movies and educational ones with my kids. Have added many of the shows by Andy Yeatman to our list.

    ReplyDelete