Thursday, August 30, 2018

Book Review: Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder | A Novel About the History of Philosophy

sophie's world front coverTitle: Sophie's World
Author:
ISBN: 0374266425
Date Published:
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Language: English (translated from Norwegian by Paulette Møller)
Genre: philosophy, fiction, history, historical fiction, classic

I discovered this book from my niece. It was assigned to her by her school as a reading material. I never got to know of this book back when I was in High School, perhaps because my school was a Catholic-based. But I'm thankful to my niece for learning about this book. Why? Read my full book review below.


Click 'Read more' or continue scrolling down



sophie's world book spine

sophie's world rear cover

sophie's world without dust jacket

sophie's world without dust jacket book spine


I never thought reading Sophie's World would be this enjoyable. I feel my rationality and philosophical knowledge has improved after reading this book. This book makes me want to read more philosophy books. I want to dig more into the various philosophers mentioned by Alberto Knox to Sophie.

Sophie's World is a must-have and a must-read for all of us human beings. I may be overrating this but I won't be biased too as there is some part that may make readers feel uncomfortable with. Like talking to a stranger, and absurd obscenity somewhere at the end part of the book. But what really stands out with this book is its effectiveness to teach philosophy thru storytelling a fictionalized world of Sophie. It's your Philosophy book 101.


Because this book has a very good impact on a reader like me and I bet to you too, aspiring readers; I'm rating this book: 5.0 / 5.0

With that rating, I highly recommend this book to everyone!

Hope you enjoy my review.

Thanks!



Buy similar copies of this book below:


-




Advertisement:

1 comment:

  1. Strangely, I remember reading this book back in college too! It was a long time ago so I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was in Philosophy class too. Awesome! I agree with your rating!

    ReplyDelete