Saturday, April 22, 2017

Book Review: Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories | Edited by Kelly Link & Gavin Grant

Steampunk! front cover
Title: Steampunk!
Sub-title: An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
Editors: Kelly Link, Gavin Grant
Authors: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
ISBN: 9780763648435
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Published date:
Language: English
Genre: Anthologies, Short Stories, Fantasy, Steampunk, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Website: http://www.strangeandfascinating.com/

I bought this book for only 150.00 php. at The Book Snoop. I decided to buy this book because of its fancy cover and also, because I wanted to try reading a Steampunk genre.

(continue scrolling down or click 'Read more')


Steampunk! rear cover

Steampunk! deckle edge

Steampunk! Sample comics

This is the first steampunk genre I read. I really want to try the genre as it's not a common one modern authors wants to write about. Skimming the table of contents, some of the author's name are already familiar to me. Like Holly Black, I like her short story she wrote in this book "Everything Amiable and Obliging". I read Holly Black's book before. I even reviewed it here, see Spiderwick book review here.

I like some of the stories and I didn't like some of it. This book gives me a mood swing because every story has a different setting. It's not easy to move on with the previous story and you'll take a new story next with different twist. It also gets me confuse with the time period of each story in which I will later realize about where they're in near the story's end. I can't picture some of the mechanical things they've mentioned in the book. If you're not familiar with Wild Wild West, Alice Through the Looking Glass and other films with steampunk theme, you may consult your smartphone and Google every steampunk things you don't understand in this book.


What I like most in this book is that they put Comics too (see below):

Steampunk! - Seven Days Beset by Demons by Shawn Cheng sample page

Here's my rating for each story:

3.3 / 5.0 - “Some Fortunate Future Day” by Cassandra Clare
1.0 / 5.0 - “The Last Ride of the Glory Girls” by Libba Bray
2.5 / 5.0 - “Clockwork Fagin” by Cory Doctorow
4.5 / 5.0 - “Seven Days Beset by Demons” (comic) by Shawn Cheng
3.5 / 5.0 - “Hand in Glove” by Ysabeau S. Wilce
2.8 / 5.0 - “The Ghost of Cwmlech Manor” by Delia Sherman
2.9 / 5.0 - “Gethsemene” by Elizabeth Knox
3.0 / 5.0 - “The Summer People” by Kelly Link
3.5 / 5.0 - “Peace in Our Time” by Garth Nix
2.9 / 5.0 - “Nowhere Fast” by Christopher Rowe
3.0 / 5.0 - “Finishing School” (comic) by Kathleen Jennings
2.9 / 5.0 - “Steam Girl” by Dylan Horrocks
3.0 / 5.0 - “Everything Amiable and Obliging” by Holly Black
4.0 / 5.0 - "The Oracle Engine" by M. T. Anderson

I'd give it an average rating of: 3.0 / 5.0

Want to buy this book? Buy it at Amazon (check it below):



Or search & buy this book at BookDepository (FREE DELIVERY WORLDWIDE).

Thanks!

-




Reference:


10 comments:

  1. Havent heard of a steampunk genre before but knowing that this one contains diff stories makes it such a steal. Love the cover too!!! reminds me of "series of unfortunate events" and Nicholas Flamel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard about this series but surely my son will love it, if anything related to Science he totally love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good buy for P150. I like that they have many stories in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I`m not very familiar with the genre. Thank you for introducing me to The Book Snoop. I`m checking out their Facebook page right now.

    ❀ Grace ❀

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even heard of this Steampunk Genre so far! So thanks for enlightening me.
    Btw, that's the trouble with anthologies. When different authors are compiled together, the setting, scenario, emotion etc completely change. So reading it all together, gets complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't hear about this genre before...Going to suggest this to my Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read books before, but because I do a lot of things as of the present, I can no longer find time to read. You own a very good book review. I'll surely check this book if I get the chance. Thank you so much for sharing!

    LaiAriel R. Samangka

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was a storybook, but it looked more like a comic instead. I think I will only read the books that are rated 4 and above by you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very interesting book to share with my kiddos. :) I have to admit, I have no idea what steam punk is and will have to use Google as you suggest, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this series of books but it looks and sounds fascinating. Will take a look and buy one.

    ReplyDelete