Monday, July 10, 2017

Book Review: One More Chance | A Novel by Juan Miguel Sevilla


Advertisement:
Lazada Philippines


I just found this book lying around the house. It came with the balikbayan box from Singapore sent by a relative. Not sure if the signature is from my cousin or from the author itself. But they told me it wasn't my cousin's signature. I'm just not sure.

One More Chance front cover art

Title: One More Chance
Author:
Screen Writer(s): Vanessa Valdez, Carmi Raymundo
Cover art: Lorra Elena Angbue-Te
ISBN: 9789718161333
Publisher: ABS-CBN Publishing Inc.
Published Date:
Language: Filipino and English / Taglish
Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Adult Fiction






Note, this book was based from the movie "One More Chance" by Cathy Garcia-Molina

I have no liking to any Filipino films but I'm aware of the movie title as it was trending before in the kitchen of our office. It was a word of mouth by most of my girl friends (not girlfriend). The movie was a success during its time. I'm not curious about it even if the TV commercial tell me it was a huge success. Many Filipino movies announced their success in TV commercials but the competing TV Channel don't. So, I don't trust what they're saying.

I underestimate the movie without watching it. But as I read this novelized version "One More Chance" by Juan Miguel Sevilla, I find the story pretty good.

(continue scrolling down or click 'Read more' to read full book review)

one more chance back cover
One More Chance back cover

one more chance novel sample page
One More Chance sample page 01

one more chance novelized version sample page
One More Chance sample page 02

I like some parts of the story and I don't like some of it. Particularly, I don't like Popoy driving his car insanely after their unexpected meet-up with Basha in a gathering. He could have killed somebody.

I can somehow observe their break-up situation in real life. You know the time when your partner is bossy to you and you're tired of it. You just want to explode and end it already. Then upon break-up, you'll realize that you could be wrong or your partner could be the one who is wrong. It'll take a time to find your resolve. But It's hurting when it's too late as your ex already found a new one in his/her life.

In this book, I also learned of the "3-Month Rule" after a break-up. In 3-Month Rule, you must remain single and must control yourself not to find a new partner. But of course, you necessarily need not to follow such rule depending on the gravity of your break-up.


To end this review, I'm rating this book: 3.8 / 5.0

Thanks!


Inspirational Quotes from One More Chance


"But seriously, no one know how relationships works. Di ba? Hindi naman s'ya naging subject sa school. Hindi naman siya tinuro ng mga magulang natin. 
Truth is, sa kahit anong relationship, wala tayong alam lahat. Wala tayong alam sa love. Ang alam lang natin, 'yung napapanood natin or nababasa natin. But that's not love.
It just tells us kung ano ang dapat nating maramdaman, how love is supposed to be like, now what it is.

So wag kang kabahan kung wala kang alam sa relationship. Kumakapa lang tayo lahat sa dilim."
- Popoy, "One More Chance"


I want to stop wondering "what if." I want to know "what is."
- Basha, "One More Chance

-




Reference:


Advertisement:
Lazada Philippines

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure the film adaptation of this book will still surprise you, given the actors that portrayed the roles. One More Chance is actually (and still) #1 on my list when it comes to Filipino Movies, as I really enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie has some of the iconic lines in the cinema to date and this even had a sequel. It would be nice to read the book and compare with the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent read the book. The movie is the ultimate love story of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to react inadvertently to your disposition on disliking the Filipino films. You have all the right to do so. Nevertheless, you should be appreciative enough for there are good Filipino film makers, directors and playwrights for that matter that they need to be supported and advocated their works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the film that I enjoyed watching... yung sana ako na lang ulit ang tumatak talaga.

    ReplyDelete