Monday, November 20, 2017

Book Review: Wind / Pinball by Haruki Murakami | Two Novels: #01 Hear the Wind Sing and #02 Pinball, 1973


Advertisement:
Lazada Philippines


wind pinball by haruki murakami front coverTitle: Wind Pinball, Two Novels
Author:
ISBN: 9781846558351
Publisher: Harvill Secker
Published date:
Language: English
Genre: Fiction, Japanese Literature, Magical Realism

This book has been stocked on my bookshelf for so long. I've finished the book just this month. According to my research, this book was Haruki Murakami's first novel originally published way back the year 1979, I'm talking about Hear the Wind Sing. Basically, this English re-publication contains his first book "Hear the Wind Sing" and the sequel "Pinball, 1973". Both books are part of a trilogy, the third installment is titled "A Wild Sheep Chase". The fourth book he wrote titled "Dance, Dance, Dance" mentioned 'the Rat' but was not considered part of the trilogy.

(click 'Read more' to read full book review)

hear the wind sing and pinball 1973 by haruki murakami
Buy Wind/Pinball at BookDepository (Free Delivery Worldwide)

hear the wind sing opening pagehear the wind sing dust jacket front


pinball 1973 by haruki murakami front cover

pinball 1973 opening pagepinball 1973 dust jacket


pinball 1973 binding design

wind pinball 1973 dust jacket flap

wind pinball by haruki murakami flip book


Talking about the book design, I find the flipping of the book to read the second novel a very wonderful idea. This is why I preferred this book published by Harvill Secker than the one published by Alfred A. Knopf. The one published by Alfred A. Knopf is a common one where you'll find the second book in the middle.

I kind of did not like the flow of the story. The style is similar to his other books I already read; I'm pertaining to the books published recently. I'm supposed to understand the style. Perhaps I'm still having a book jetlag while reading his book. The previous book I read which is written in Filipino was still in my mind during the time I'm reading Wind & Pinball. Or maybe this book is just not that really good and his improvements are put on his later books? And that's the reason why I like his recent books than his old books.

Still, a must-read. This is the origin of his writing style and his career in writing. The start of the absurd, his world of Magical Realism. I really should re-read this book. I'll re-read this again once I got a copy of the third part of the trilogy of the Rat "A Wild Sheep Chase".


I'm rating this book: 3.0 / 5.0


Want to buy this book? Check it at Amazon below:



Thanks!





Reference:


4 comments:

  1. Do you like doing reviews often? I love to write but don't have the opportunity to read often. This author asked me to do a review of her book and post a review of it on my Instgram in exchange for a copy of her book. Would you be interested in doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Good to know that the book design is good and good to know about Book Depository which deliveres free worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a book lover. and this Wind Pinball, Two Novels looks so interesting to read. I will definitely add this to my book list to shop.

    ReplyDelete