Saturday, January 24, 2015

Book Review: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I luckily bought this book at a cheap price (again) from another local seller in OLX.ph, for 300.00 php! I learned about this book from reading various articles about 100 bestselling or best novels of all time. It may be in 2nd to the top or within the 100 top list. The ranking are coming from reputable sites so it's a deciding factor why i bought the book.


The Great Gatsby Book Details:


Title: The Great Gatsby
Author: | Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
ISBN: 9781434442017
Originally Published: 1925
First Published by: Scribner's (now owned by Barnes&Noble)
Genre: Classic Fiction
Language: English
Publisher: Wildside Press
Publication date:
Format: Hardback
Pages: 184
Product dimensions: 6.14 (w) x 9.21 (h) x 0.56 (d)


The Great Gatsby Characters:
  • Nick Carraway
  • Tom Buchanan
  • Daisy Buchanan
  • Jay Gatsby / James Gatz
  • Jordan Baker

Setting: Long Island, US


Also, the Great Gatsby film back year 2013 reminded me about the book. I'm enticed to watch the film but i didn't because i knew they'd cut some of the story or put a spin-off on it. So, I reviewed this book before watching the film.

(See review and more details below; may contained spoilers)


The Great Gatsby rear cover. Photo of Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald by Carl Vanvechten.

The Great Gatsby side cover; without jacket.

The Great Gatsby spine without jacket; clothbound.

The Great Gatsby title page

The Great Gatsby large print

It's a great book of the old years so i am very careful on reading it. I didn't read fast so i can appreciate it more and make sure i understand every page.

As I read the first couple of pages, I kind of find the setting so differently compare to the settings of fiction novels i used to read. I used to read novels in contemporary settings. The Great Gatsby is a classic novel, an old literature. I begun to understand that people lives differently during those times and it's kind of a retro way. But i am not sure if it should be called a retro because as I've did a research, the novel was written in 20s and the term retro was popularized in the 80s. Anyways, It's old fashioned.


As a brief summary of this book (spoiler alert, skip this paragraph), Nick Carraway kin of Daisy Buchanan happens to be the neighbor of mysteriously rich Jay Gatsby. Jay Gatsby learned of Nick Carraway's relation to Daisy her lost love. Then, Mr. Gatsby invited Mr. Carraway to a party in his mansion. Inviting Mr. Carraway made them friends and there starts Mr. Gatsby's plan to reach her lost love Daisy. But it never became a happy ending for Jay Gatsby and that's for you to read the book yourself.  (end of spoiler)

The story sounds allegorical or adultery seems common in that age. Things are disoriented and i think, America is having an economic crisis the time F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote this book. There's also a pint of funny humor on how Meyer Wolfshiem says "Gonnegtion" for connection and "Oggsford" for Oxford. I like that! And i don't find the character smart or it's just that their mind, the old generation really think that way...

All in all, the novel is well-written. The whole story didn't affect me much. Perhaps, people who lived in 20th century would appreciate the novel more as it portray the state of their lives and minds during those times.


I'm rating this book: 3.5 / 5.0

Hope you like my review. If you want to discuss something about the book, feel free to leave your comment and i'll comment-back ahead.

Thanks!


Trivia:

  • In 1998, The Great Gatsby was voted as best American novel of the 20th century and best English novel by the Modern Library.
  • the front cover was a painting from Francis Cugat. F. Scott Fitzgerald commissioned Francisco Coradal-Cougat to design a cover for The Great Gatsby. The painting has a little resemblance to Doctor T. J. Eckleburg of the Great Gatsby. Ernest Hemingway didn't like the cover.


F. Scott Fitzgerald Quote:

"Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
Nick Carraway's father, pg. 7, The Great Gatsby
You can download an FB cover of this quote from our page and use it as yours. See following link -> https://www.facebook.com/Literateknolohitura/photos/a.717901711582682.1073741828.715407125165474/902391529800365/


-


Literateknolohitura.com





Reference:



Buy a similar copy of this book at Amazon.com (see product link below):




Or from BookDepository (Free Delivery Worldwide). No kidding.


10 comments:

  1. This is a great book review. Will try to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but the movie was really great! Loved it! Hoping to read this since the books are usually better than the movie remake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Should be my next read! I have been planning to read this (it still sits prettily on my bookshelf) - EXCITED!

    I have embarked on a new project. Because of my frustrating memory, I am trying to log all the books I've read in my blog. hahaha. But not as heavy and hardworking as your reviews though. Anyway, nice to be here again! Ciao! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read the book but this looks interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I didn’t know that there was a book. The movie itself is entertaining so I wish to read that in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, i havent read the book either watch the movie as well, but upon based on your review i should watch it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that there was a book, but I have already seen the movie and its good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have watched the movie a couple of times and it was good (plus Leonardo looks great as always.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book review...looking forward to read this myself :)

    ReplyDelete