Monday, October 24, 2016

Book Review: The Lost Journal of Alejandro Pardo - Creature & Beasts of Philippine Folklore

I've been always wanted to buy book(s) about Philippine mythology and other subjects related to paranormal. I'm glad I saw this attractively looking book from the magazine stand.

alejandro pardo front cover
Alejandro Pardo Front Cover

Title: The Lost Journal of Alejandro Pardo
Subtitle: Creatures & Beasts of Philippine Folklore
Authors: , , , ,
Publisher: Summit Publishing Co., Inc.
Date Published:
ISBN: 6214041145
Language: English
Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Mythology
Price: 295.00 php. @ National Bookstore





I always read this book before I sleep. I don't know why. I just feel reading it before bedtime. Isn't that weird? Click 'Read more' to read my full review or just continue scrolling down.


alejandro pardo back cover
Alejandro Pardo rear cover

alejandro pardo bookspine
Alejandro Pardo book spine

alejandro pardo opening page art
Alejandro Pardo opening page


Philippine myth reference books are hard to find. So don't let the chance of seeing this book at your local bookstores gone away.

The book showcases the familiar-to-popular creatures of the Philippines like Kapre, Tikbalang, Duwende, etc. It sounds like "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" but this Alejandro's journal is a different one. It has cool illustrations and a nicely written story of Alejandro Pardo's encounters with a little humor.

alejandro pardo duwende
Alejandro Pardo sample page 01 - Duwende

alejandro pardo mandurugo
Alejandro Pardo sample page 02 - Mandurugo

This book gives me nostalgia of the past where my grandma tells me a story of merfolks in the river banks of old Sta. Ana, Manila (Pasig river). She told me, people avoid to trip the river at night because mermaids are active at those particular time. Mermaids will snatch people if they get a chance. She noted that one of her mother's friend was snatched while washing clothes in the river bank at a night time. You know what, I realized, who will continue such fancy story to children or grandchildren when they're gone (my grandma passed away in the year 2000)? I guess, Alejandro Pardo answers the question. If I got my own child and grandchildren, I'll tell them fancy stories like my grandma did instead of leaving them hooked with their portable gadgets. This book would be my definite reference.

I wish they continue making a book like this. There are more creatures to reveal because the Philippines are surrounded with a lot of mysteries. Alejandro Pardo has more stories of encounters to tell. Thankfully, they left the sources in the book (see below). More reason for me to read Philippine myth.

alejandro pardo book references
Alejandro Pardo book reference sources

I would like to note, Alejandro Pardo is a fictional character and some of the creatures listed in this book may be real or not. And I'm not sure about my grandma's story of mermaid snatching people into the river. They may not be scientifically discovered yet or it's just a product of wild imagination by the locals. All I know is:


"What we think we see is not actually what is there." - Alejandro Pardo

My book rating: 5.0 / 5.0

Thanks!


-



Some other links linked:



No comments:

Post a Comment